Here we go.

08 June 2010

Heat beating

I know, I know, I very recently lamented about not being able to write freely about whatever, but I've been so busy that I haven't had a moment to reflect. Truly. So, par the course, I'll say it with photos.

A few weekends ago, mum treated KMHD, ATM & myself to some island camping on Lake Ouachita. We met her, Larry, and our step-brother Paul somewhere in Garland County, at a campground reserved for military families. Anyway, because we were racing the sun, as soon as we got there we piled all our gear into the boat and Larry dropped us off on an island a few miles away. We got set up long before the sun set, so we were able to mill around & half-ass explore our little patch of land.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You cannot photograph big sky. I mean, you can try.
Photobucket

Photobucket

A long time measured here.
Photobucket
In retrospect, it's a little alarming that we were stranded & couldn't get off the island if we wanted, but, too, I also know that there isn't anything to really worry about out there. Even though we were having a good time, not being able to swim due to really rough waters deducted from the ultimate bitchin' time. It had gotten really hot and no one wanted to get into the water, so by the time our ride came around to pick us up, we were ready to go. After camping, we drove into Hot Springs to eat at Taco Mama's, owned by the same folks at Cafe 1217. This place was really...can I use the word 'progressive'? They had house-made everything, Mexican Cokes, and the building itself was awesome, decorated with a lot of reused lumber, just to name a few things. There are pockets of awesomeness in Hot Springs, you just have to do some exploring. It is really adding to my excitement of being a business owner and part-time resident there. I can't wait! It's really inspiring me to kick it into high gear and get this done sooner than later.

-----

We spent Memorial Day weekend not going to Riverfest, attending David & Kelly's wedding, and then there was a quick jaunt to Memphis.

It was most excellent to see that many friends, showered & dressed to the nines, assembled in one place. I can't tell you how many sideways hugs I gave. I mean, what we should do next time is everyone line up Soul Train-style so we can either hug, high five, low five, or dance down the line and get it done in one go. Organization! Maybe I'll make that arrangement at our get up?

Cheers to the very happy couple!
Photobucket

O.K., I see Suzi, Scott, Sonya, Jeremy & ATM:
Photobucket

Brandon, Mariella, KMHD:
Photobucket

-----

We didn't have a plan for Memphis other than to just be there and not in LR/NLR. We ate, walked around & looked at stuff, had drinks. I regret to report that we had THE worst food experiences while there. I had scoped out a new restaurant online that I felt we had to try. They got 50/50 good and bad reviews, so I just wrote off the bad ones as finicky diners. By all appearances, Au Fond Farm Table should have been one of my favorite restaurants ever, but it was pretty damn bad. Service was o.k., but the food was grodimus maximus. Look for yourself:
Photobucket
First, I didn't get the egg scramble that I ordered. It had celery in it! In my opinion, a scramble shouldn't have celery, even as garnish. Second, the accompanying potatoes were burned and oily and I can't believe they served them to us! And I can't believe we didn't send them back! [Were we complete zombies or what, ATM?] ATM remarked that their biscuits tasted like they were left out for a few days rendering them dry and choky. They were only edible if you drowned them in the weird gravy. It was horrible! What the hell, Au Fond? I really really hate that the only nice thing I can say is that their place looked like a place that served really great foodstuff.

BUST
Photobucket

What's a visit to Memphis w/o stopping by the House of Mews?
Photobucket

And Goner Records:
Photobucket

-----

Last week, an attorney gave me $50 in gift certificates to Red Lobster for doing him a solid. Well. It had been decades since I'd been to 'the Lobster', so I was strangely excited by this little adventure. I suppose it's because we don't usually go to the major big chains for dinner. I once heard that RL is the highest grossing restaurant in North Little Rock, so I was curious about the vibe, the other patrons, and the food itself. Right. So, we go and the hostess seats us right where we can keep an eye on the car! (A hilarious inside joke!)

Photobucket

Here's what you came to see:
Photobucket
The food was o.k./average. It wasn't difficult to be completely repulsed, though. The shrimp, the lobster, the steak -- they looked perfect. Like plastic. Like molded mass-produced plastic perfection. And it makes you wonder about how disgusting the restaurant industry and their food suppliers are. What the hell did they do to that food to make it look so abnormal?! We spent well over $50, so we also realized that maybe most people don't even realize that they can pay that kind of money at a really nice restaurant with quality food? You know, food that doesn't have what I suspect to be lasered on grill marks. I'm certain it'll be another couple of decades before I go back. Live without.
-----

Photobucket

Photobucket

Keiko, Leigh's ghost, and Heather. I love them.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sigh.
Photobucket

Hot air balloons:
Photobucket

I'M READY!
Photobucket











No comments:

Blog Archive